American Red Cross Training Course
The Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation Department will be offering American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course this spring. This course will certify an individual to become a non-surf lifeguard. Participants must complete all the e-learning sessions prior to attending classroom skill sessions. Participants must be able to meet or pass all course prerequisites listed below.
Location: Teton County/Jackson Recreation Center Swimming Pool
Class Dates and Times (Must attend all class meeting times):
No scheduled dates at this time. However if you are interested in becoming a lifeguard or working with Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation, please call 307-732-5754.
To enroll in the Life guarding course, a person must...
- Be at least 15 years old
- Swim 300 yards continuously using the following strokes crawl, breaststroke, and side stroke
- Surface dive to a minimum depth of seven feet and bring a 10 pounds diving brick to the surface and return to start within 1:40
- Tread water for two minutes, with the use of legs only, hands under the arm pits
- Preventative lifeguarding skills
- Steps to minimize or eliminate hazards at an aquatic facility
- Rescue techniques including swim assists and use of rescue equipment
- Procedures for handling spinal cord injuries
- CPR for the professional rescuer
Lifeguard certification is valid for two years, CPR certification is valid for two years. Certification requirements include:
- Successfully complete two written exams with 80% minimum score
- Successfully complete final skills test
- Successfully perform all critical skills
Requirements for Successful Completion
- Attend and participate in all class sessions
- Complete all eLearning units prior to attending classroom skills sessions
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
- Pass a final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios which include all 3 of the following:
- Head, Neck, or Spinal Injury in Shallow Water
- Active Victim in Deep Water
- Submerged Passive Victim in Deep Water – Timed Response
All sessions must be attended for certification. More courses will be added as the need arises. If you are interested please call 307-732-5760 and leave your name and phone number.